Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon is an editing workshop to be held on June 13, 2015. The tentative venue is Raul S. Roco Library located at Juan Q. Miranda Avenue, Naga City. It aims to invite individuals who share common agenda with Wikipedia movement. Specifically, this project aims to increase contributions to the Bikol Wikipedia, which includes creating and editing articles. Aside from writing articles in the Bikol Wikipedia, the participants may also add content to other Wikimedia projects such as, but not limited to; uploading pictures to Wikimedia Commons and enhancing Bikol-related articles in English Wikipedia and other language versions. It also aims to promote the Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia and the Bikol Wiktionary projects currently in incubator stage.
Participants in the past Bikol Wikipedia events and individuals who have interests in the field of Bicol culture, built heritage, photography among others are being invited in the workshop. They are encouraged to utilize Wikipedia as an open space wherein they can promote their own advocacies through sharing information in Bikol Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects.
Participants are advised to bring their laptops.
- Dindin Davila - project lead of Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon
volunteer at Bikol Wikipedia Day (BWD)
participant at Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon (RBWE), CBSUA Meet up with WMPH President (CBSUA Meetup)
- Irvin Sto. Tomas prolific contributor
project lead of BWD, RBWE, Bikol Edit-a-thon Canaman Library
participant at OWD ADNU, OWD UNC, CBSUA Meetup
- Ramon Olaño - prolific contributor
volunteer at BWD, OWD UNC, RBWE
- Gil Gregorio - prolific contributor
volunteer at OWD ADNU, OWD UNC
- Bong de la Torre - participant at CBSUA Meetup
- Anthony Diaz - volunteer OWD UNC
participant at BWD
- Froy Beraña - volunteer at BWD
participant at OWD ADNU, RBWE, CBSUA Meetup
- Elbert Baeta - volunteer at BWD
participant at CBSUA Meetup
- Jusan Misolas - participant at RBWE, CBSUA Meet up
- Rosette Imperio - in replacement of Rey Christian Rosales (volunteer, OWD UNC)
participant at BWD/Wikipedia Takes Naga
- 8:00 am – Arrival and registration (Elbert Baeta)
- 8:15 am - Acknowledgment of the participants
- 8:30 am – Opening program
- 8:45 am – Wikipedia and Bikol language (Ramon Olaño)
- 9:00 am - Open forum
- Panel of reactors: Joey B. Garalde, Veritas Legazpi; Ernie Verdadero, Sumaro Bikolnon; Hon. Nathan Sergio, City Councilor; Riko Vinluan, Raul S. Roco Library
- 10:15 am – Morning break
- 10:30 am – Editing tutorial (Irvin Sto. Tomas, Gil Gregorio)
- 11:00 am - Start of Edit-a-thon
- 12:00 am – Lunch break
- 1:00 pm – Continuation of Edit-a-thon
- 3:00 pm – Afternoon break
- 3:30 pm – Visioning and strategic planning (Dindin Daliva)
- 5:00 pm – Awarding of certificates and prizes
To be hosted by: Dindin Daliva
Participants are divided into different groups according to the field of interest. Each group has a facilitator who will serve as moderator. They will set a goal which they need to meet before the workshop ends such as the following:
- Bikol Culture group - to create/improve 5 articles about Bicolano writers and personalities such as Raul Roco, Dolores Sison
- (add yourself in the list here)
- Built Heritage group - to create/improve 5 articles on existing heritage sites in Naga City such as Holy Rosary Minor Seminary, Santuario nin Nuestra Señora de Peñafrancia
- (add yourself in the list here)
- Bicol Towns and Cities group - to create/improve 5 articles about their respective hometown and other related articles
- Gil Gregorio (facilitator) - suggested topics: San Jose, Camarines Sur, Antonio B. Chavez, Bukid Isarog
- Elbert Baeta - suggested topics: Syudad nin Iriga, Bukid Asog, Rinconada Bikol
- Seth Imperio - suggested topics: Libmanan, Camarines Sur, Jaime Hernandez, Diosesis nin Libmanan
- (add yourself in the list here)
- Mixed group - to create/improve 5 articles of their choice
- Dindin Daliva (facilitator)
Articles can be improved through adding references, making the article neutral, correcting spelling and grammar, and adding useful information.
In June 2012, the first editing workshop in the Bicol region dubbed as Open Web Day ADNU was conducted by volunteers from Manila and Camarines Sur to promote Wikipedia among the students and librarians of Ateneo de Naga University. It was done in partnership with the university and Bicol Region Librarians Council (BRLC). As a follow up activity, a similar activity called Bikol Edit-a-thon initiated by local Wikipedians was done in August 2012 at Canaman Municipal Library in partnership with the Local Government Unit of Canaman.
In November 2012, in celebration of the 5th Bikol Wikipedia Day, the Community held Wikipedia Takes Naga, a photo scavenger hunt and Wikipedia Forum, in lieu of the Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon (due to lack of attendees). The event was held in partnership with Ateneo de Naga University, Parasurat Bikolnon and City Government of Naga.
Here is the summary of what transpired in the said Wikipedia Forum:
- Ramon Olaño shared his observation on the lack of Bikol cultural icons and concern about the limited resources on Bicol culture. According to him, Bicolanos do not have a capacity to publish despite the number of intellectuals and enthusiasts on culture and history.
- Dindin Daliva, pointed out how Wikipedia can help bridge the gap.
- Edna San Buenaventura, chief librarian of James J. O'Brien Library, opined on writers who publish for profit. She then threw the questions:
- How do we encourage them to join [Wikimedia movement] knowing that there is no remuneration [in contributing to the project]?
- How do we enlighten them to share their works?
- Irvin Sto. Tomas talked about Free Culture and how Wikipedia works. He also mentioned about Wikisource, a separate Wikimedia project which can be used as a repository of old materials in the public domain or freely licensed.
- The idea of inviting experts in the field to review the articles was also tackled. Irvin mentioned about Wikipedia Ambassadors. He suggested to put up a club for Wikipedians in the campus and invite professors who will serve as Ambassadors.
- There was also an exchange of opinions on Copyright issues and free access to information. Irvin suggested to encourage people share traditional songs and dances which do not have authors through Wikimedia Commons.
- Participants asked Bikol Wikimedia Community to update them on the "How to" operations or basics in editing.
- Irvin and Ramon reiterated that contributions can be in different forms such text, photographs, music and videos.
- One participant opined to make the articles user-friendly [language] for the end users. There is an issue on the language used by different contributors.
- Irvin explained that Bikol Wikipedia uses Central Bikol, which is the language used in Naga and Legazpi cities. A separate Wikipedia can also be created for other Bikol languages, such as Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia, if there are enough contributors. He also acknowledged the project as a living laboratory for students of Bikol language.
- The group agreed to promote Bikol Wikipedia as a reliable source and to satisfy the needs of end users.
- Before the end of the discussion, it was set to invite writers for another round of discussion with the participants.
One year later, during the 6th anniversary of Bikol Wikipedia, Open Web Day UNC was held at Jaime Hernandez Hall, in partnership with University of Nueva Caceres and Bicol Region Librarians Council (BRLC). The activity was well-attended by librarians and students taking up BS Library Science.
In August 2014, Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon was organized by the local Wikipedians at Yellow Cab in Naga City. The participants migrated stub articles to Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia to increase the number of articles in the test project.
Open Web Day ADNU held at James J. O'Brien Library
A community-initiated Bikol Edit-a-thon held at Canaman Municipal Library
5th Bikol Wikipedia Day held at James J. O'Brien Library
Open Web Day UNC held at Jaime Hernandez Hall
A community-initiated Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon held at Yellow Cab